Dental Implant: What To Expect During Your Procedure
If you’ve lost one or more teeth, you may be relieved to learn that you have multiple options to complete your smile and prevent the health complications that can arise from missing teeth. One of the best options to replace missing teeth is with dental implants from your Upper Manhattan cosmetic dentist.
What Is A Dental Implant?
A dental implant is a permanent dental fixture that is used to replace a missing or extracted tooth. A metal stud or post is screwed into the jawbone to make an anchor for the denture, or crown, that fits in between the missing teeth. This crown is made with porcelain or ceramic and looks just like a natural tooth. Many patients prefer implants so they can avoid a bridge that will need to be replaced in a few years or the discomfort of dentures. Implants look, feel, and function like natural teeth, making them an especially good option if your missing tooth is at the front of your mouth or very visible.
What Are The Advantages Of Dental Implants?
Implants offer a variety of advantages and provide a permanent replacement option for missing teeth:
- Promotes the health of surrounding teeth by maintaining the shape and strength of the jawbone.
- Restores your bite, making it easier to chew and talk properly.
- Prevents facial structure degradation, which is likely to happen if the missing tooth root is not replaced with a dental implant stud.
- Prevents tooth decay and bacteria by filling in gaps in the mouth.
What Are The Parts Of An Implant?
Implants are made of three separate components.
- Implant: This is the titanium stud that your Washington Heights dental implant dentist will place into the lower or upper jawbone and acts as the root for the new tooth.
- Abutment: Made of porcelain, stainless steel, or another metal, the abutment is a connecting element that holds the entire implant together and provides strength so that the implant doesn’t crack or break when you bite.
- Crown: The cap of the implant is shaped just like a natural tooth and color matched to the rest of your teeth. Although it’s actually stronger than a natural tooth, it can be replaced if it becomes cracked or damaged without replacing the other components. The crown is typically made of a metal alloy fused with porcelain.
Preparing For The Dental Implant Procedure
Before your implant surgery, your dentist will complete several key preparations:
You’ll meet with your Washington Heights dental implant dentist before the procedure to answer all of your questions and ensure that dental implants are the right choice for you.
Your dentist will examine your mouth, discuss your dental and medical history, create impressions of your teeth, and take x-rays. He may also order a CT scan to evaluate how much jawbone is available for the implants, whether bone grafts are needed, and to locate nerves and sinus cavities that will need to be avoided during surgery.
Most people have healthy jawbone tissue, but some will not have sufficient bone to hold the implant. In these cases, bone grafting may be the best solution.
What Are The Steps Of The Dental Implant Procedure?
The traditional dental implant procedure is completed over several months.
- Initial incision: Your Fort George dental implant dentist will make a small cut in your gums where the implant will be placed in order to gain access to the tooth socket.
- Implant insertion: Your dentist will place the metal post right into your bone, then suture the area and allow it to heal for three to six months.
- Exposing the implant: Once the area has healed for several months, your dentist will make a new cut to expose the implant and screw a collar, called a healing cap, on top of the stud.
- Healing cap removal: A few weeks later, you’ll return to your dentist for the healing cap removal.
- Abutment and crown placement: The final stage of the dental implant procedure involves the insertion of the abutment and then the dental crown.
One Stage Dental Implant Process
Some patients do not want to wait for the traditional dental implant procedure and may be candidates for a one-stage procedure. In this type of dental procedure, your Bronx dental implant dentist will place all three parts of the implant in one visit. The gums will heal on their own without the placement of a healing cap. This procedural approach offers a faster implant process with fewer surgical procedures; however, there is a slightly higher risk of complications because the body does not have time to acclimate itself to the placement of the implant. Your dentist can help you determine which procedure might be right for you.
Consult With New York’s Leading Cosmetic Dental Clinic
If you’re wondering whether dental implants might be the right choice for you, schedule your appointment with Esthetix Dental Spa. Our experienced dentists provide personalized treatment for each of our patients to promote optimal outcomes and a smile you’ll love. With a dedication to the highest standards of care and a convenient location, Esthetix Dental Spa is recognized as one of the leading cosmetic dental clinics in New York. Contact our office today to schedule your appointment!
Esthetix Dentist, NYC’s Dental Implant & Cosmetic Specialist
285 Fort Washington Ave,
New York, NY 10032
Phone: (212) 795-9675