What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are artificial teeth that are intended to replace missing or severely damaged teeth. They consist of two distinct parts: the root, which is placed under the gum, and the upper tooth, which matches your existing teeth and is screwed onto the artificial root.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants have a variety of health and cosmetic benefits. Some of the most common benefits that can be expected include:
- Improved self-esteem–holes from missing teeth are very noticeable, and dental implants can restore patients’ full smiles
- Enhanced speech–missing teeth, particularly front teeth, make proper pronunciation difficult, which can lead to many speech problems
- Improved oral health–missing teeth make caring for teeth more difficult
- Longer-lasting option than dentures–dental implants can last up to 25 years, while most dentures last between five and seven years
On average, the full healing time will last about three to six months.
Cost of Dental Implants
One downside is the fact that most insurance companies consider it to be a cosmetic procedure, rather than a necessary medical procedure, which means that they are likely to contribute little to none of the total cost.
On average, the estimated cost falls between $1,000-$3,000 per tooth. This means that dental implants are typically a better option for individuals who only need to replace one tooth, or a few teeth at the most, after an injury, and they may not be a cost-effective alternative to dentures for patients who are missing many teeth.
Am I a Strong Candidate for Dental Implants?
As with any dental procedure, it is important to consider several factors to determine whether an individual is a good candidate for dental implants. Some key factors for successful procedures are:
- Having enough bone mass in the jawbone to support implants
- Being healthy enough for tooth extractions
- Not having taken certain medications, such as radiation
- Not drinking or smoking heavily
- Visiting a dentist regularly and making oral health a priority
At Esthetix Dental Spa, we care about giving you the tools you need to make an informed decision about replacing your missing or damaged teeth. Contact us today to learn more about whether dental implants may be right for you or to schedule an appointment!